Thursday 4 October 2012

39 - CSI & OUAS combined challenge



I loved the bright summery colours of the CSI challenge this week combined with the sketch from OUAS




For the challenge I have used all the colours and the sketch

EVIDENCE 
Rub ons
Leaves - Fabric and wood
Bird - Punched
Little bits and pieces - Buttons and the clock
Chalks - on the title
Wings - Butterflies
Frame - Stitched on the photo

TESTIMONY
I use the prompt "All I really need to know I learned from...."


and a closeup


The journalling reads:-

ALL I REALLY NEED TO KNOW

I learned from my friend & colleague 


BERNADETTE


When safely cocooned in my family of origin, I assumed I understood how the world worked.  However, when I started nursing, I discovered there are many version of ‘normality’. My family’s philosophy on life, with its‘stiff upper lip’ and ‘don’t complain, don’t explain’ ideologies, was not the only way to live.

Bernadette was my senior Nurse and mentor when I first began Nursing Training in a small country town.  I was still a naive kid and socially inept, when she tucked me under her wing, having noticed that I struggled with information overload and crippling shyness.

Her practical work ethic I understood, however hers was tempered with a keen sense of the ridiculous and good natured teasing.  She located my funny bone and massaged it into life.

She was a free spirit, made friends easily, loved to dance and play tennis and I was dragged along for the ride.  Gradually, my buttoned down mask dissolved in the warmth of her friendship.

Bernadette consoled me when I witnessed my first death and rejoiced with me at the miracle of birth.  We laughed and cried together as we experienced the raw and intense emotional extremes of a career in Nursing.
In later years we saw each other less frequently.  She lived a thousand kilometres away and we were each busy with our own families.  Yet, when we visited, we could just pick up where we left off.  I remember once, calling into her home for afternoon tea; husband and three kids in tow and leaving a week later!

Bernadette was an adventurer, she went abseiling, rode camels in the desert and travelled third world countries on her own.  She was a vivacious and courageous woman, authentic and loyal, witty and wise, like a sparkling star leading the way to Nirvana.

She died too soon, my dear friend, a swift and savage death due to cancer.  I cherished our friendship and I will always miss her. Vale Bernadette.

TFL and for any comments you may choose to leave.

If you are interested, I've included a list of products I used 

For the first time, I used Glimmermist on wet paper through a mask and I like the "messy" look I achieved on the background.

Mask - Crafter's Workshop - Gathered Flowers
Tattered Angels Glimmermist - Key Lime PIe, Patina & Patina
The flowers are from Prima, Kaisercraft, 
Enamel flower - Maya Road
Leaves - Prima
Wooden Leaves - Kaisercraft
Pearls - Kaisercraft
The punches are Martha Stewart - Doiley Lace and Birds on a wire
The rubs ons -  Kaiser, Secret Bird Society
Alphas - October Afternoon
Chipboard Title - Scrap FX
Chalk Inks - Colour Box
Cardstock - Jenni Bowlin Core Impression, Vintage Bright
Embossing Powder - Bobdex International
Buttons - Little Yellow Bicycle
Ribbon - Seam Binding, Spotlight









4 comments:

  1. What a heartfelt tribute to your friend Bernadette--your journaling is so very honest & thoughtful. Love that background as well...the texture you added really gave this page a great touch. Thanks for sharing your work with us at OUAS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful Helen. I always love your journaling. Love the misted/masked background, the photo and cluster. LOve it !!! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay she blogs ! :) I have left a comment over at CSI for you. This page is such a beautiful tribute to your friend. The colours are beautiful with the gorgeous photo of your friend Bernadette. It sounds like Bernadette was the angel you needed at that time in your life and sounds like an amazing person. Love all the little touches to the layout. A beautiful layout x

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's wonderful to have had someone like your friend in your life.
    Your page is so sweet and precious!
    Thank you for joining us at OUAS

    ReplyDelete