Sunday 17 March 2013

63 - CSI Challenge - Recollections




Beautiful colours and case files this week.  Here is how I cracked the case.  Why not pop over to CSI and see how the other team members interpretated the challenge?

Nadia Canizzo at OUAS, graciously allowed me to use her sketch September 2012





The photo of me was taken when I was just four years old.



I loved using this eylet lace which I inherited from my Mother's stash.



EVIDENCE
Ribbon
Flowers
Pearls
Jewels - in the yellow flower
Tape measure
Vintage element - little girl with her dolly
Lace - vintage eyelet from my Mother’s stash

TESTIMONY
I used the words INSPIRE and WOMAN to kick start my journalling. 
It is in the form of a letter to my Mother.

THE JOURNALLING READS

Dear Mum,

Many times, I go to ask you something, or tell you something and wish you were still here to share our lives. I know you would adore the Great Grand children; you always clucked around babies of any kind.  Children, chickens, pups and kittens, were all gathered in your apron of love and nurtured into wholeness. 

You know how much I loved that pink dress you smocked for me, it looked so pretty and felt so cool sliding across my legs.  Every little girl should experience the delight of wearing a pink smocked dress, so I stitched one for Esther when she was born.  I think you would be proud that the tradition was handed down to the next generation.

The hair in ringlets tradition has not continued though!  Remember what a fuss I made having to sleep in those tight rags overnight?  After our Saturday night bath, you sectioned my hair, dipped it in “Curlypet” and brushed it around your finger in a curl.  A thin strip of rag went though the middle, was tied in a knot on the outside and held tightly against my scalp. Was the “Curly Pet” some kind of setting lotion?  It smelt fresh and sweet, but heralded the terror of the torturous curling process too.

I know I inherited my love of “hand made” by observing you making everything from scratch.  You still inspire me to have a go at anything, even if I don’t have much of a clue where to start.   I loved walking in the door after school and yelling out “Muuuuuum” and you were always there creating something.  Baking, sewing, knitting, weaving, making a hat or a cane basket.  From your example I knew deep in my bones, that a woman could achieve anything she set her mind to.  Except knitting maybe, you know I always had difficulty with that and got into a frightful pickle when I dropped a stitch.  

You taught me to do my best, to unpick a line of stitching if it wasn’t straight, to find a way around obstacles if a road block got in the way of success.   Never one to seek praise, you rarely gave it out either.   That’s why I treasure the words you said after looking at the first Scrapbook Album I made.  “You made a good job of that Helen”.   Your words meant more than I can say; they still warm my heart over a decade later. They shine like a precious jewel in my collection of happy memories.

Thanks for everything Mum.  I said it many times when you were alive and I hope you truly believed what an inspiration you were.

Love Helen


MATERIALS
Bazzil cardstock, Vanilla
Authentique patterned paper - Renew Collection “Foundation One”
Prima patterned paper - Divine Collection “Canzone”
Prima patterned paper - Divine Collection “Ballade”
Pion patterned paper - Tagan om Varen collection “Fairytale of spring”
Graphic 45 patterned paper - Little darlings “Bundle of Joy”
Graphic 45 patterned paper - Old Curiosity Shoppe collection “Butterfly Specifics”
Martha Stewart Punch - Wild Flowers
Imaginarium chipboard - Borders “Circles”
Tattered Angels Glimmer mist - Sweet Clover
Tim Holtz Distress Ink - Victorian Velvet
Tim Holtz Distress Ink - Bundled Sage
Ranger Acrylic Dabber - Sandal and Lemonade
Kaisercraft Acrylic paint - Soft gold
Kaisercraft Flowers
Kaisercraft Pearl Flourish
All My Memories - Expressions, Accent Bars
Prima Mask - Sunrise, sunset “Flower”
Prima Embellishment - Say it with crystals
Twine - 



Photobucket

10 comments:

  1. Helen your layout is so gentle and olde worlde.I love it.And reading your description,my mother was the same...always sewing,knitting ,cooking etc.I never saw her idle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute li'l kiddo you were! And OH, I SOOOOO relate re: the rags in the hair O/N. That would be cruelty to girl kidlets these days! All for the sake of a curl:):)!!!!!!!! LOVELY LO...don't seem to have time for CSI atm - but I LOVE seeing what everyone comes up with!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow Helen love how you cracked the case, so wonderful is your story too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this is just beautiful in every way - the letter to your Mum is very touching and thoughtful too. Lovely :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a gorgeous layout Helen and I absolutely love the photo and your journalling! You are certainly a CSI Master and I love seeing what you create every week! I love the special little details that you always add to your pages, which make them so special! Thanks so much for your visit to my blog and your lovely comment! I truly appreciate it! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a lovely and meaningful layout.... I love your very heartfelt letter to your Mum... I am definitely a fan!

    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Helen - thanks for the comment...no idea why I chose the Cameo.....seemed a good idea....maybe I had seen more of my bloggy friends using it than other die cutters, I think...but that's it!!!! I don't know much about other machines, either, I've heard more about the Silly Machines:):) Have a great weekend:):)

    ReplyDelete
  9. STUNNING work!!!! Great job with this!!!! Amazing page :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just gorgeous Helen...love all the wonderful little details, the punched border is stunning, love the photo, and as always your journaling is heartfelt and beautiful....Love this. xx

    ReplyDelete