Saturday 22 March 2014

Peek a Boo - CSI challenge 115

Today I'm sharing a CSI DT boy's layout using non-traditional colours.
Initially I had difficulty finding a photo to go with these 
soft colours and the girl in the mood board image. 
However, when I came across these photos of DGSon 
with the dark brown background they seemed just right.  
I used the peachy end of the pink tones and just little touches of the other colours.  
Just right for a boy - why should girls have all the pretty colours?
The DT have a large variety of styles to show you using these colours. 
If you'd like to join in, use at least two prompts for the evidence
 and at least one prompt from the testimony.
Because I didn't have papers in the peachy tones, 
I mixed a few gelatos to create the pale and mid toned peach.  
A grey gelato coloured the leaves and the black ink splashes are Glimmerglaze.
The distressed doilies are fussy cut from
 Cor'dinations White Wash card stock, Hazelnut 
The die is from Memory Box and the red pearls are Kaisercraft
Not sure of the make of the wooden heart, 
but I used Glimmerglaze "Chianti" to colour it the dark crimson required.
Gesso was used to prime the card stock
then texture paste applied through
the stencil which is by Urban Artist "Diamonds Forever."
Prima alphabets
The cute wooden bird is from Freckled Fawn
I use a Martha Gardner punch to make the little heart strip
Love the camera Flair  from Studio 14
EVIDENCE
Hearts
Lace (on the doiley edges)
Bird
Leaves
Flowers
Pen work
Mixed media background

TESTIMONY
I went to the Friday 5 prompts and chose to write about “In what good ways are you like your Mother”  The journalling is on the back of the page and it reads:-

I’m not as patient, tolerant and serene as my Mother was, but I’ve learned to embrace a softer side of myself as I’ve grown older. The way Mum lived her life, demonstrated all those qualities; she was probably the most generous person I’ve ever known.

When I see the Grand children fighting over who’s turn it is to come to Granny and Pa’s, I remember how welcome our Boys were at my Mother’s home.

The minute they arrived, she got out the baking ingredients and would have a dozen family sized apple pies whipped up in no time.  They’d eat three or four of them there; Mum would keep one and the rest would come home with us to pop in the freezer.  Many years later, one of our Sons still asks if I will bake an Apple Pie like Nanna used to make.

The Grand children love to cook with me too. When I happily tolerate the mess during the baking, I recall Mum saying “They are only little for such a short time, just enjoy them.  The work will still be there tomorrow.”  

When we play the age old game of Peek a Boo with the little ones, I remember her allowing our Boys to climb all over her. She’d hide them under her apron, so they could play that game with her.  She delighted in their antics, their tantrums and their little triumphs.  I’m so grateful she was my Mother and I attribute my Grand parenting skills to following her fine example. Journalling March 2014

Photobucket

10 comments:

  1. Such a pretty page and totally suited to your boy photos. I love the effect of the gelatos and texture paste on your background and the pretty branches and little bird. You always add the perfect touches to your pages. Love your journaling and the happy memories you have of your Mum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh! Look at you getting your mixed media on! I actually did a process video of doing this one...probably never see the light of day, as it's LOOONG & BORING....but you with your 'fly on the wall' comments got me thinking HOW I create. Talk about totally ad hoc & random...anyways, I'm LOVING your gelato work, that glimmer glaze looks fabulous & the light, airy feeling of this one makes is a FAVE of mine:):):)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh WOW Helen....a new fave for me.....this is absolutely gorgeous...love every little detail.....your background gelatos/ watercolour work looks amazing....sweet photo and as always wonderful journaling...LOVE IT!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How pretty Helen! This sweet page really made me smile!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a wonderfully delightful page !!! Wonderful that u had such a great woman as your mom to guide y

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow wow wow . looooooooook at you Miss helen , loving the background work and the design is super duper gorgeous .. you are on fire miss Helen .. woohoo !!! love love love xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a beautiful layout Helen. I love those photos - they really are cuties. I was convinced this was Esther :) I suppose because of the colours. Your journalling really hit home too and I often worry that I am going to be a lousy granma. I am not a fan of noise or mess :) already trying to wrap my head around that one. You are a constant source of inspiration for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that soft watercolour background...and love the clean lines, along with the sweet accents! Such a precious photo too! Love your journalling and your Mom sounds so warm and homely! I am sure you have leant a lot from her and I am sure your grandchildren think you are the best thing since sliced bread!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is absolutely beautiful Helen! love the subtle background work but most of all I really loved reading about your mum. You are a daughter to be proud of, you have such a special place in your heart and life for your grandies and family. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  10. Reading your journaling brought some good memories of my GrandMom, how she always welcomed us, and indulged us. I'm sure your Granchildren feel the same about you :).
    As always, your layout is so beautiful. You tackled the palette so well, with creative solution for the peachy color. Great take with cute photos :).

    ReplyDelete