Tuesday 27 February 2018

Scrap Matrix DT - Ranger challenge Feb 2018

A huge thank you to Vicki Christensen, for the opportunity to design with the Scrap Matrix team.  I’m super excited to be part of such a talented group and to support a local South Australian business.

The challenge this month is to use all things Ranger.  There's a huge amount to choose from.   I hope you will join in, using a product from Vicki's gorgeous store Scrap Matrix at Encounter Bay.

Now for my first project, which is an Art Journal page.



I started with a white page, in my Dina Wakley Media Journalwhich I coated with Ranger white gesso, to stop the media seeping through. Blank pages can be a bit daunting, so my approach is the dive right in and make a mess some marks!
So I dipped my fingers into some creamy Dylusions paints and rubbed them over the page, blending them as I went.  I used Laid Back Lilac, Funky Fuchsia, Periwinkle Blue and White Linen.
Adding more layers to increase the intensity of the colours.
To add texture I swiped Distress Crackle Paint, Clear Rock Candy through a Tim Holtz Stencil, “Splash”   I like the way it cracks and also takes on the colour of the paint underneath. 
The white gesso was added through a Tim Holtz Burlap stencil.
I added the Art Journal stamp at the top and some stamping from the same set (Dylusions stamps, Inbetweenies- DYR34575) along the side, using Tim Holtz Jet Black Archival Ink. The words are from Dina Wakley Stamps, (Handwritten Quotes MDR44475)
Wanting to add more colour and patterns I sponged some Oxides through a Tim Holtz stencil Set 27 
Because I didn't have an idea to begin with, I fished through my stamps to see what would go with these quotes and found my little birds.  Dylusions Stamps, "Put a bird on it", They just look so cheery, I thought they’d be right at home on the colourful background. 
Using a Tim Holtz stamp press, I got a crisp, clean stamped finish which 
I then fussy cut and painted the birds with Distress Oxides,
Walnut Stain
Peeled Paint
Broken China
Peacock Feathers
Fired Brick
Iced Spruce
Twisted Citron 
I glued the birds in place with Tim Holtz Multi Medium Matte.
Finally I added the flowers through a Tim Holtz stencil very similar to this.



Thanks for calling in, I hope you found something to inspire you.
Be sure to check out the Scrap Matrix blog in a day or so, 
for another Design Team Project.


6 comments:

  1. Oh wow--so gorgeous & artistic, Helen! I really love the colors & how you arranged everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, huge big congrats are in order!!! How fun to join that team, - I shall have to check them out. I adore your journal page, those colours are stunning and those birds are just delightful! Great to see you do mixed media stuff like this!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! First up, huge congrats on becoming a member of the Scrapmatrix Team. So well deserved too!!
    This is stunning Helen!! The colours are glorious .. I love the bright pinks and purple .. and the crackle adds amazing texture to the page! The stamping is perfect .. I love the words, and the little birds are simply perfect!! So arty and absolutely gorgeous!!!
    Have a wonderful day!! hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful artwork Helen! Love the vibrant colors and cute birds! So fun and creative!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO awesome, love the gorgeous vibrant colours!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your art journal page! Its just too cute and love the sentiment too. Love the colours and the stamping! ;-)

    ReplyDelete