Tuesday 1 May 2018

Scrap the Boys DT project - # Stylish

Hello Scrappy Friends, welcome back to my blog today where I'm sharing a DT layout for
the May challenge at Scrap the Boys

As the name suggests, we are all about scrapping the Boy's in our lives.
What do you think of the mood board this month? It totally took my breath away and I couldn't wait to get started.


I was absolutely inspired by the dramatic colours, the debonair models and the Monstera leaves.
Attempting to achieve the vibrancy of the colours, I used Tim Holtz alcohol inks for the big leaf and created the shape with a cut file.   I  stitched around the edge and darkened the edges with various Prima pencils.
The dragonfly is an oldie from Imaginarium designs.  I coloured it with Dylusions Shimmer sprays and  scattered a few prills along the body.

The little heart chippies are from my stash, I think they are ScrapFX.
The flower and leaves, I just cut with die cuts from the scraps of the alcohol ink paper.

The journalling is on the back of the page and it reads:-
Raising Sons can be a pretty messy business.  There always seemed to be mountains of washing to tend to, industrial strength piles of food to provide, incessant notes about who needed to be where for co-curricular activities and multiple secret phone calls with the phone cord snaking it's way up the passage, well away from parental ears.  Heaven forbid we should know anything about anybody!   But all things are passing and as the hormonal outbursts receded, we were gradually afforded tiny sentences muttered in passing, like an occasional pat on the head.  We treated those gems with the reverence they deserved, never attempting to tease them into something like a conversation!
And it came to pass, after University, that we too, had learned a few things and we connected as adults.   So where am I going with all this, well may you ask?   Was it tough?  Yes, at times.   Was it worth it?  Absolutely!   Would I do it all again?  In a heart beat.  So when I look at my youngest Son, looking so debonair on his Wedding Day and think about his gifts of tenacity, compassion, loyalty and tolerance, I can't help but feel proud and blessed that we are his parents.
Photo Jan 2015

Thanks for calling in and for any comments you care to leave - I appreciate them all.

This month our sponsor is Helmar.
For all your crafting and photo adhesives look no further.



http://www.helmar.com.au

Our international winner will be offered a guest designer spot in July.

We look forward to seeing all your creations!
You can add your entry to our FB page and # us on Instagram as well as our link up.
Please don't forget to add what country you are from.


12 comments:

  1. Wow Helen! Would you look at that fantastic and dramatic leaf! The wonderful stitching, dragonfly, photo and design! You never fail to amaze my friend! Big hugs and happy May, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in love with your beautiful page and inspiration !! Have a nice May month !! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a super cool page Helen, I adore how you put it together, such great fresh colours and what a wonderful photo of your youngest!! I really enjoyed reading your journalling too, so many wise words, and I recognize many of those sentiments and thoughts! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Wow! Wow! This is totally awesome Helen!! That monstera leaf is simply out of this world gorgeous! The colours, so beautifully mixed and the stitching around the edges looks brilliant. A wonderful photo of your handsome son and, once again, beautiful and heartfelt journaling! This is definitely a new fave! Hoping you are feeling way better now and healing well. Have a great day!! hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is stunning Helen, that background leaf looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my--your journaling brought a tear to my eye, Helen and I literally gasped when I saw your layout! Just when I think you couldn't make a better project--you do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Helen this is just mind blowing and I really like how you used the alcohol inks for the delicious monster leaf they fit together like peanut butter and jelly :D Stitching all the way around adds texture and emphasises the leaf and that gorgeous photo of your boy are all the perfect pieces to create this jigsaw but... as always it is the journalling that got to me and I have to say I can't say it is any different to raising a girl - no smelly socks and gym gear with girls but there are other things in its place. It has been sooooo long since I visited any blogs there just doesn't seem to be time at the moment. I forgot how much I love reading your stories and I sit here with my tea nodding my head say YES! That is it exactly <3 Thank you for giving me a bright moment in my day. This too shall pass :-*

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a stunning and artsy page Helen, that effect you've used to create the monstera leaf looks so cool ... and stylish! I can SO relate to your journaling as well :o) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Helen, I am not sure what I love the most about this, the layout with that exquisite leaf and stitching, or the journalling about raising your sons... both are superb, and this is a very special layout for your Scrap the boys challenge this month... p.s. I hope you are doing much better too... xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW!!! This is an outstanding creation Helen...so much to love...from the alcohol inked leaf and stitching, the awesome photo, the little dragonfly and your heartfelt journaling. Love it all! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my Helen! What a stunning layout! Love the gorgeous leaf! What a work of art! Love the heartfelt memories behind the page.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a stylish and dapper page to match the photo and sentiment! Love the leaf and the gorgeous styling. The journalling is so funny and I had a good giggle at your thoughts! ;-) These boys to men, in our lives...it gives us grey hair but makes us grow too! xx

    ReplyDelete